Wednesday, October 24, 2012

NYCC 2012 - Day 4

So the last day of NYCC came, and it was going to go by a lot quicker than expected due to some unexpected issues, but to start things off: Our last appointment for the event was an interview with some of the developers behind the upcoming “Marvel HEROES”, an MMO Dungeon Crawler created by David Brevik, the man behind the original Diablo 1 and 2 from Blizzard Entertainment. During the interview, we got a chance to try out the game first hand, along with some newly revealed heroes. Isaac was a total Marvel Comics fan, so he was more than willing to do the interview on such short notice. We got the whole thing recorded so expect the video this week.


With no other booths to cover, I hopped back over to the Playstation booth to try out some Vita titles…


…and the one that managed to get my attention was the upcoming “Soul Sacrifice” by Keiji Inafune, founder of a new game company called Comcept and is best known for his creation of Mega Man. This new title struck me as “Monster Hunter with a dark twist.” The game is focused around temporally using limbs and body parts as weapons, such as pulling out your own eyes balls and turning them into flying lasers, or turning your arm into a giant bloody hammer.
The whole concept is incredibly disgusting, but very intriguing at the same time. I’m not quite sure if this title will be for me or not, but I’ll keep my eye on it. Keiji’s main idea behind his company is to make games that grab your attention and never let go, and this certainly has mine.


Overall, the cosplayers at NYCC this year were pretty stellar. There was a good amount of spot on recreations of characters from video games, comic books and TV shows. The biggest and BEST cosplayer I’ve seen at Comic-Con this year was Bumble-Bee from Transformers. The costume was nearly perfect with each detail, along with how the costume looked in motion.


As far as popular costumes for this year: There were SO many guys cosplaying as Deadpool, along with lots of females as Harley Quinn from Batman: Arkham City. The more interesting Deadpool cosplay, however, was one of Deadpool running around in a maid outfit. Too bad I didn’t take a picture of that one.


Overall, the event was a lot more fun than last year’s event, since I got the chance to meet some cool and interesting people in the game industry, as well as getting to meet some journalists that I used to watch and look up to when I was younger, such as Victor Lucas (a host for a gaming & entertainment show called “Electric Playground”), who I ran into with my brother while we having some lunch near the press lounge.


0 comments:

Post a Comment